If you have found an unpleasant odor under sinks, or in the cupboards, it means cockroaches are there.
Go and kill them right now.
SIGNS OF COCKROACHES
It is very easy to spot the signs of cockroaches in your home if compared to the other pests. You must be aware that cockroaches are nocturnal, and so they prefer to stay in the cracks and crevices during the daytime, and they mostly come out at night time.
Cockroaches are attracted to all the different kind of foods available in your kitchen. From plastics to fabrics, paper, animal matter (which also includes hamster and rabbit dropping); they can eat anything and everything in your home.
COCKROACH INFESTATION SIGNS
Here are the following signs which can help you identify the cockroach infestation:-
- Nasty SmellYes, if you have cockroach infestation in your home, then you will find a lingering and unpleasant odor from few items (which they must have touched).
- Cockroach DroppingsYou will find brown/black cylindrical droppings if you have cockroaches in your home. It is around 2 mm long.
- Smear MarksIf you have abundant water in your home, then you will also find brown and irregular shaped smear marks. Look for marks on the horizontal surfaces and wall floor junctions where you can find the cockroaches scuttling.
- Shed SkinsYes, you heard it right. Cockroaches shed skins (which is called as cast nymphal) around 5-8 times once they become adults. You will find their shed skins near places where they are living.
Places You Should Check For Cockroach Infestation
Finding the location of the cockroach depends on the species of cockroach that is present in your property. There are some species of cockroaches which would always prefer warm and humid areas, while you find the others enjoying the cooler conditions. Here are the following areas where you can find cockroaches:-
- BathroomsYou should immediately check the bathroom cabinets (especially the places where you have kept the soaps and other toiletry products). Next is to check the medicine cabinets. Look for the plumbing pipes behind the sinks, toilet areas or even where you take a bath. Most of the times, cockroaches usually hide in dark spaces where they get direct access to water. They also eat the toilet paper, soap residue- or sometimes shed skin cells and hair.
- KitchensCheck the cabinets and cupboards, and go through the hidden areas i.e. under sinks, dishwashers etc. You can also find the cockroaches in the upper corners of the cupboards. Pay a little more attention to the appliances with motors, because it gives them the right warmth which they need to grow. You should also check them in the cookers, fridges and freezers carefully. There are many small kitchen appliances like the toasters, coffee makers, blenders, microwaves where cockroaches harbour.
- Laundry RoomsAll the plumbing areas which involves the small cupboards under sinks, areas where you keep the washing machine and tumble dryers should be checked. You should also check the warm areas i.e. motor in the washers and dryers.
- BasementsTry searching the base and corner joints of walls because cockroaches can easily come through all these places. Cracks in the wooden baseboards or floors are areas where cockroaches hide. They eat the newspapers and cardboard, so you should check the piles of newspapers and cupboards which you have stored for a long period of time.
- DrainsThere are some species of cockroaches which can survive both in the dry and cool areas such as oriental cockroaches. Check the drain pipes for any kind of cracks and crevices where they can hide, along with the damaged drain covers where they can hide easily. Few other areas where you should check are the pipe ducts or any other opening in the garden decking. They can also survive in the rubbish tips. So you need to be very careful.
TYPES OF COCKROACHES
Surprisingly, there are few cockroach species which can affect our properties badly and so they are considered as pests. No matter whether they all need food, shelter, water; their preferences will vary. Have a look at the most common cockroaches which you can find in your home:-
They can easily survive in the cool and damp conditions and you can mostly find them in the drains or basements. Considering the conditions, they can also survive in areas like rubbish tips. They are not very quick like German cockroaches, but can easily climb the surfaces i.e rough brickwork.
This is a kind of cockroach which needs a lot of warmth and humidity to survive, so you can find them in the bathrooms, kitchen, laundry rooms etc. They are extremely good with climbing because of the sticky pads they have on their feet, and very smooth with surfaces i.e. glass and polished metal areas.
BROWN BANDED COCKROACHES
They also need warmth and humidity but are very adaptable, and you will often find them looking for food and water. They can run very easily and fly if the conditions are suitable. Keep all these great tips in mind to deal with the cockroaches.